What is HIV infection?
HIV – human immunodeficiency virus causing viral disease – HIV infection.
AIDS – what is it?
AIDS is an acquired immune deficiency syndrome. AIDS is the last stage of HIV infection.
The source of infection is the only HIV-positive person.
Do you know how HIV / AIDS is transmitted?
There are only 3 ways of HIV transmission:
1. Through infected blood.
2. With unprotected sex.
3. From mother to child during pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding.
HIV is not transmitted:
- when shaking hands or hugging;
- when using cutlery, bedding;
- through items of sanitary equipment, when using the pool, shower;
- airborne droplets;
- with joint sports activities;
- in public transport;
- through animals or insect bites.
How to avoid infection?
- sexual fidelity;
- proper use of a condom;
- refusal to inject drugs or use individual needles and syringes;
- individual use of tools for shaving, manicure, hygienic procedures.
Why do you need to be tested for HIV?
Many people living with HIV do not know about it. They have no symptoms, the virus does not manifest itself. Testing has two big advantages – you can find out your status and take the necessary measures:
- if your HIV status is negative, then you can take care to protect yourself and your loved ones from infection in the future;
- If your HIV status is positive, then you will be able to access appropriate support and treatment, as well as explore ways to maintain your own health.
Anonymous and free HIV testing (AIDS) is carried out in any health organization in Brest and Brest region, as well as in the HIV / AIDS prevention department of the State Institution “Brest Regional Center of Hygiene, Epidemiology and Public Health” at Brest, Svobody Square, 8.
Also, HIV testing and counseling is carried out in the HIV / AIDS Prevention Department of the State Institution “Brest Regional Center for Hygiene, Epidemiology and Public Health” at Brest, Svobody Square, 8, room. 3, tel. +375-162-20-75-89, +375-162-20-75-86.
In the consultative dispensary office of the Brest Regional Consultative Clinic of the Brest Regional Hospital, address: Brest, Medicinskaya street, 5, 4th floor, room. 419, tel. +375-162-27-21-99.
According to the materials of the state institution “Brest Regional Center for Hygiene, Epidemiology and Public Health”